Wednesday 21 September 2022

NICU quilt for Project Linus and a couple of postcards I made

This is a recent finish for Project Linus.  It's a NICU quilt for the little babies in incubators at the hospital.  This a one of the hexagon stars my daughter made, a while back.  She was going to make a large quilt with them, but decided she didn't like the way it was going.  The colours were too bright and kind of clashed with each other.  

When I was unpacking I asked her if she was planning to do anything with them, for which she replied, do what you want with them, for which my reply was a huge grin on my face and my brain started planning.  There were six stars all together and some miscellaneous parts.  There was an orange star, a pink one, two greens and two blues. The pink and orange NICU quilts are done and were shown in an earlier post.  One of the green stars is also done and will come in another post.


Today I wanted to show you this blue star NICU quilt.  For each quilt, I am trying to be different with each of the borders.  The pink has pink strings, the orange has a simple border with a fabric that had all the colours found on the stars and first border, and this one I decided to do three rows of squares to bring it up to the size needed for the quilt.  This one has a lot of aqua in it.  I like the variety of the blue squares.  I was practicing my free motion quilting on this one.  My mom did the binding for me.  My mom does all the binding on my charity/giveaway quilts. 

Something else I want to share with you from back in time to Dec 26/2019:
These are a couple of postcards that I made for the HHQG postcard exchange back in Sept/2019-June/2020.  In my group we had seven participants, so each of us had to make six postcards.  I am trying to track down a picture of them all, but only succeeded in getting these two.  I'll keep trying.  

In the meantime, this first one is an embroidered snow flake that I copied from my daughter's A to Zzzz snowman pattern.  I traced the pattern on a white on white snowflake background.  My daughter did the tiny little stitches and I embellished the snowflake with beads and knots.  When that was done, I trimmed it square, added three strips to the one side, in a dark to light order and followed that with a double binding.


As you can see, I added the ruler at the bottom so you can see the proportions.  The next picture is a close up of the snowflake.  There are three small beads sewn together on the end of the large tips and a tube bead on the short tips.  I added a sequence bead to the middle, topped with a larger round bead, surrounded by more lighter coloured tube beads.  I think it turn out nice.  All the intricate work is so eye catching and it shimmers when the light hits it just the right way.


This next postcard is very different than the first one.  This one is paper piece flying geese all done with my solid scraps and a grey for the background.  I enjoyed doing this one with all those tiny little pieces....I know, I am crazy....lol...but I did like making it.  Each one of these geese are 1/2" tall by just under 1" wide.  I forgot to get a picture of the back of the postcard, which looks so cute.  I drew out the line down the middle, the lines for the address section, even the little square for the postage stamp, just like you would see on a postcard.  It was cute!


Interesting facts: Back at this time on Dec 26/2019, during the time of making these postcards, it is just after Christmas.  I have the week off, and there is now a sense of urgency,  this is when I start the big push to pack and get a move on the renos.  Now on this date Sept/2022, I am still doing renos, but now in my new home....At least now, a year and four months later (after we take possession of the house), I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.  I figure, outside of the ensuite, I am about 95% done the main floor, and outside of the basement bathroom about 90% done the basement.  Getting there.....

Enjoy what is left of your evening everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment