Saturday 5 August 2017

Finished quilting my Mom's Rick Rack Nines

I almost forgot to post about my finish from last weekend.  I finished quilting my Mom's Rick Rack Nines quilt from Bonnie Hunter's book, Adventures with Leaders and Enders.  My mom is still trying to use up all of her scraps, that she has from making clothing and household items.  She has since started making quilts and accumulating more fabrics from borders backings and bindings.

My mom saw how quickly I can get quilts put together when I go into my pre cut fabrics, similar to what Bonnie does, but with the sizes that work best for me and the types of quilts I make.  So, one day she decided to go through some of her fabrics, to cut pieces for her Texas Braid quilt, another one of Bonnie's patterns.  For that pattern you start out with 2" strips.  While doing it, I told her if she only had a little piece of the strip left, to cut it up into squares and put them aside.

She thought, ok, I can do that.  So she cut and cut and cut some more.  By the time she had the Texas Braid pieces all done, she also had more the half of these squares cut, but at that time she did not know what she was going to do with them.

When she came over to look through Bonnie's books that I had, she found this one.  It so happens to be in the same book as the Texas Braid quilt.


I didn't remember to take the quilt upstairs to get the whole quilt shot, but the first picture above shows a good portion of it.  The next picture below is a close up.  For this quilt I was practicing this curved design in all the nine patches and I did some ruler work for all the white square.  


I have to say that I am getting more comfortable with both free motion and ruler work on the longarm.  It is quite different than quilting on my domestic machine.

For the borders I did some more ruler work with my circle templates.  I had to use five circle sizes to complete each Baptist fan pattern.  I did the Baptist fan all the way around the border.  It looks pretty good and it helped take care of some of the fullness that was in the borders.


It's been pretty helpful that my mom has been letting me quilt her quilts for her.  I need to continue to practice different techniques and she lets me do whatever I want.  I think I have this free motion design down pat.  Next quilt is going to be my purple stars quilt, that is going into the upcoming quilt show.

There are a few new techniques I want to do on this one.  Just hoping I don't mess it up, being that it is going into the show and all.  Putting my quilts into the show is the best form of advertising there is.  People can actually see samples of my work.  Mom is putting some of her quilts, that I quilted for her in the show too.

No comments:

Post a Comment