Saturday 8 July 2017

Finished quilting a quilt made by my daughter

Here is my daughter's quilt.  She plans to give this quilt away.  Her request for the quilting was "whatever".  She is usually picky about this sort of thing, but this time she gave me free license to do what I wanted.  Because of it I was stumped as to how to quilt it, so it sat around for a while.  

From time to time, I would make suggestions to see what she preferred, but she gave me no clues, and each time I would get the same response "whatever".  I was kind of afraid I would mess it up on her.  In the end, I figured I would try different quilting methods.  She liked what I did........what a relief!


I practiced some ruler work while I stitched in the ditch everywhere.  The one thing I know, about what my daughter likes, is that she likes the clean crisp look of stitch in the ditch.  It helped to make the individual nine patch blocks puff up.  I used a curved ruler to practice the curve grid along the perimeter solid blocks.  I ran this design into the first border.


For the centre solid blocks I chose to practice placement with the quilt path.  I learned quickly how to place the motif.  The butterfly motif is an up and down design, so I learned to place it on a diagonal facing right and facing left.  It is weird how the placement markers distort the motif until you have them all placed.  I still have a lot to learn about the quilt path, but I do learn a bit each time I use it.



For the first border I did some free motion quilting with a dense squiggle between the curved design.  While doing this, I learned as well, how to travel in the ditch to my next section, without cutting the thread.  Lastly, on the final border, I used the lines of the fabric my daughter chose.  Every red line got quilted, in a straight line, with the help of my ruler.  Here again, I traveled in the ditch to the next section, without stopping.  

This was a simple quilt, but I learned quite a lot.  I am happy with the results.  The quilt turned out nice,  and my daughter likes it too!  One more quilt off the list of my top 12 priority list for 2017.


**Progress on my top 12 list for 2017**

9. Quilting-Purple star quilt (my own)....
4. Main work-Mel's romance & roses quilt (family)....
10. Main work-Grey, black & bright quilt (charity)....
5. Handwork-Reconstructed Dresden plate quilt (my own)....only 6 blocks left to appliqué
6. Paper pieces-Xmas pineapple blossom quilt (my own)....
8. Leader/ender-Bonnie's mystery quilt (my own)....Alternate block left to do

Total number of quilts completed - 6
Total number of quilts left to be completed - 6

Completed quilts:
3. Spools quilt (my own)
12. Purple & blue squares quilt from Carol (charity)
11. Log cabin quilt from Sharon (charity) 
7. Mini pumpkin wall hanging (my own)
1. Lise's Dresden plate quilt (commissioned) 
2. Sabryna's yellow nine patch quilt (family)

No comments:

Post a Comment