Tuesday 4 July 2017

Christmas in July

A little while back, I thought I would get a few blocks done of the Xmas pineapple blossom quilt.  All the fabrics were going to be Christmas fabrics.  People have been giving me bits and pieces of fabric and I have a collection, in anticipation of making myself a Christmas quilt.

September last year my mother and I went on a shop hop for my birthday.  While we were shopping, there was a shop that had their Christmas fabric on sale for 30% off.  Not that I was really looking, because as I said, I have a collection already, but I needed a background fabric or a main fabric to tie everything together.  

While there I found the grey fabric on the right block below.  At the same time I bought some "new" Christmas colour fabrics.  They were lighter, like pink with red and white snowflakes or teal with multi coloured ornaments, etc.  The grey looked great with them.........at the time.


I forgot though that the majority of the Christmas fabric I have is more traditional, so next to the grey, they just did not stand out.  The colours were washed out.  They were lost.  There was not enough contrast, as they were all of the same value.

It was a bit discouraging, as I was very excited to finally get started on my Christmas quilt, but I did not like this one block I did, so I put everything away.  

As time went on, I kept going through different options.  Trying to figure out what I wanted to do.  In the end I went with white.  Not just a plan solid white.  The fabrics are white on white and they all have snowflakes.  Different snowflakes.  

These are the leftover fabrics from when my daughter was making her snowman quilt.  I bought her many different kinds of white background fabric with snowflakes.  She is finished her blocks, so what is left is all mine.  They're not large pieces, but there are many, so I should have enough.


I made two blocks so far.  I like the contrast much better, even the lighter "new" Christmas coloured fabrics is going to look good with the white.  You may not see the different snowflakes in the pictures above, but in person you see the variety.

This is a quilt that is on my top 12 priority quilts.  Now there is a chance that I may be able to get it done, though I am not holding my breathe. There are just too many interruptions lately and I am starting to feel that I am falling behind.  I will still make an effort and hopefully still make a large dent in what I have on my list.  The list was made to keep me focused, and it does.  So far this year I have been very successful in completing many quilts.  That makes me happy.

Christmas in July.  It is a bit weird working on Christmas fabric when it is beautiful, hot and sunny outside.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment