Thursday 31 December 2015

Examples of hexagon quilts continues

These are part of my second batch of hexagon quilts that I found in images on Google.  There are so many extraordinary examples of hexagon quilts.  There are some who make their hexagons very small in order to create very detailed layouts.  These may at times only measure 1/2" across, like the size of a person's thumb nail.  Others may choose to do them a bit bigger to create a quilt that can be used and enjoyed. Plus there are many more sizes In between.  Whatever the size, these are beautiful, yet time consuming quilts to make, as they are usually made by hand.

This first one is a traditional layout.  Not as common as the usual grandmothers flower garden, but still a well used pattern.  This person looks like they chose civil war type fabrics.  One day I would like to make one of these, but with different colours, maybe a bit brighter. 


It is difficult to be sure, but my guess is that these are about 1/2" in size.  Mega amount of hexagons went in the making of this one.  I would love to have seen this one in person.  It looks to be assembled with precision and has a lot of detail.


This next one was a simple diamond layout.  This would be a great grab bag quilt.  You could carry enough hexagons to make a full diamond.  Once you had enough of them, and you could lay them out and slowly attach them together with the grey row between them. 


This next picture is a digital layout of another very detailed hexagon quilt.  This will look stunning when completed.  I can also see this done up in soft Easter pastel colours.


I found a quilt similar to the one that I am presently making.  The differences are that my centre diamonds are two outer rows surrounding a yellow hexagon.  My quilt will use purple for the small border, instead of pink and my purple border will only be one width, not two. There are also more white rows separating the diamonds from the florets and again more white rows separating the pink from the final border of multi coloured hexies, where as mine will have no white separating the final border from the last small purple border with only one row of white.


I saw this picture in Google images too.  This one is the starting of the second hexagon quilt that Bonnie Hunter, from Quiltville.com, is making.  If you go to her site you will see what she has completed thus far.  It will be approximately queen size, I think, and it is looking very nice.  I believe she is now working on the last few border sections to square off the quilt.


This last example of images that I have saved is an example of exemplary hexagon design.  This would have been a labor of love.  All those tiny hexagons is just amazing.  The planning of this quilt with all the different layers of different borders and fitting them all together in a pleasing colour coordinating way took a lot thought.  Someone else thought so too as I see the quilt won an award.  A red ribbon. This is also one I would love to have seen in person.










No comments:

Post a Comment