Sunday 13 December 2015

Hexagon placemats

I have been busy around here, like most people during this time of season.  I've had a couple of good shopping days in and figure I am pretty close to done with my Christmas shopping.  Still have to do a final tally of what I have for who, but I think I am almost there.

Been plugging away at the laundry room renos.  Almost done there too. Yesturday our whole family, aunties, grandma, cousins and all went for our Christmas trees.  Always a fun time.  I am slowly warming up to Christmas this year.  The tree hunting went a long way toward getting me there.

Some time today I will have to find time to clean out the living room to make room for the tree and decorate for the holidays.  In between this, I will try to get the painting done in the laundry room and do some more quilting on my daughter's 16-patch pinwheel quilt.  So far, I have all the in the ditch lines done and the corners and points of the perimeter blocks done.  I will show the pictures of that once the quilt is done.

Today I thought to show you the pictures of the last minute Christmas gift that I was working on.  It is safe to show them now, because the recipient, my sister, does not use Internet.  She may search on google from time to time, but otherwise she is not a computer type person.

The idea for these hexagon placemats came about when some time ago my sister bought a round kitchen table which only measures 34" in diameter.  Regular placemats do not work and you just cannot find any that would fit well without overlapping.


I kept thinking of ideas that would work, but for some reason or another, they just did not suit.  I kept thinking a rectangle with cut off corners, circles or something to that affect.  Even while working with my hexagons, I still did not clue in.  Until one day I thought oh, wouldn't a large hexagon work!  

At first I thought I may be boring, so I tried to come up with ways to dress it up.  In the end, I went with this simple yet elegant design.  I got the measurement of the table from her husband and made some paper templates, just to make sure I had the size to fit right.


These are my sister's colours a purplish wine colour and taupe. I hope she likes them.  We don't usually exchange Christmas present, but when something calls out to us, we get it.  These were definitely calling out to me.  I couldn't stop thinking about them.  I think she will be happy.

Now back to working on my daughter's quilt.  My daughter has been so patient.  She's had this quilt top done for a long time, but it kept getting put aside for other pressing stuff.  Stuff with deadlines.  I'd like to get it done for her, so she can use it this winter.  More on that to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment