Saturday 29 August 2015

Sharon's red, black and white anniversary quilt

Well, I have been pretty busy around here.  I've been working away at Sharon's quilt, while also getting things together here.  I am trying to set up my new office space, for working from home.  I'm also decluttering some, in various areas of the house.  Just finished my training at work, getting organized to start some renos in the house while on my vacations coming up next week, and thinking about getting the kids ready for school.  Lots going on at this time.

I did finish Sharon's quilt this week, just before our quilt bee meeting.  Everyone loved it.  Sharon made an anniversary quilt for her son and his wife.  She used pictures from when they were dating, to their wedding, all the way up to the birth of their two children and now.

Some of the picture blocks have sayings which describe the events and dates.  The quilt was made using the couple's wedding colours.  The men wore black tuxedos and the girls wore deep red, almost burgundy dresses.  The quilt turned out beautiful and made much more special for the couple with the pictures and thought to colour.  The couple have been recipients of Sharon's quilts before and were quite impressed and appreciative of the gifted quilts, but I think they will be blown away by this one.


Here are two close up pictures of the borders.  The first picture is of a side and the second one is of the corner and how I merged the side quilting designs together.



If you will note in the picture above, there is a somewhat square shape connecting the hearts in the corner.  This space could be used to inscribe something (ie a special date, initials, etc.).  In this case there will not be anything inscribed there, as Sharon has added all the information she wanted to share within the blocks themselves.


Lastly, I took a picture of the backing.  On the back it is easier to see all the continuous running chain of hearts that make up the quilting of the centre of the quilt, between the pictures.  The quilting looks so pretty that you could almost use the back of the quilt as a whole clothe quilt.

Today I won't be getting any quilting done, because I am off to my sister's place to help her put in a flower garden in her front yard.  We're planting three trees, a bunch of bushes and a whole slew of  perennials.  We already formed the garden shape, with landscape rocks yesturday.  Now we get down to the planting and finishing off with sod.

No comments:

Post a Comment