Sunday 2 August 2015

Mom's basket weave quilt

This is the last of my mom's quilts for now.  She is working on another one now from one of Bonnie Hunter's books called Texas braid.  It's one that I have half the fabric cut out to make my own, but I won't start it until I get a bit more of what I have already started done.  When mom has hers done I will show it to you. When I do mine I will show you that one too.

Even though we are going to make the same quilt, in the end they will still be different.  Mom and I have different taste in fabrics.  We collect what each of us likes and sometimes we swap fabric to add to the variety.  Even though we swap and will use some of the same fabrics, you will see that they will still have an individual look to them.

This one here is mom's basket weave quilt on a diagonal.  I made one of these, but again it is completely different than hers.  These quilts are so easy to make.  They can be time consuming depending on how big the strips are.  This is a great quilt for using up all your scraps.  You can do it completely scrappy like mom and I did, or you can do it in a specific colour way.  Either way you can't go wrong with a basket weave.

They are more of a utilitarian type quilt, for use everyday.  They are not intended to be a show piece.


This is a close up.  Mom used the pumpkin orange for her half square triangle border because it was the colour that brought out some of the colours in her scraps.  Mom had this last border left over from a backing she made.  It also has the orange in it.

This quilt fits her double bed and has plenty of quilt hanging down the sides.  I don't think she used it yet though.  I think she is keeping it to possibly down the road give it away.


I didn't get anything of my own quilty wise done yesturday.  I went to the farmer's market, fixed up all the food to store it, to make it last the whole week without going bad.  I made lunch and after that headed out to do the groceries.  When I got back I had to again organize the food for proper storage.  I also make a pot of chicken broth in the slow cooker that is today finally finished.  After all of this, I had to clean up the kitchen.  That took me to almost seven, when I had to start dinner.  Salmon and green beans on the barbeque with a salad on the side.  We had a late dinner, cleaned up again and before I knew it my day was done.  I was pooped. On my feet all day.

Today I really want/need some "me time" in my quilt room.  I just want to zone out for a while.

Enjoy your day everyone!  Don't forget to take some time out for yourself.  It's important. Your health and peace of mind helps you deal with everything that comes your way better.

No comments:

Post a Comment