Friday 7 August 2015

Beach Ball quilt

I while back, back at the end of last year, I received a bag full of scraps from my cousin to use as I wish.  They were from her mother, my aunt, who has passed away.  I sorted out the bag and took out all the cotton pieces to incorporate into my stash and scraps. What was left over were some polyester blends. I don't mix my cotton fabrics with any other fabrics, but I have no problem making a quilt using all the polyester blends together on there own.

I finally decided what I wanted to make with these particular fabrics.  The idea came to me while I was going through some magazines a friend from my quilting bee group gave me.  I am thinking of making a quilt using the beach ball block. That is what the magazine calls it, but I am sure it is also known as something else.


The block by itself does not look like much, but it is really nice when you get a bunch of them together, as it makes the circle at each block corner and the bow tie looking shapes make a swirly grid across the quilt.  You will have to trust me for now, until I can make more blocks and show you.


So this is my container of all the scraps. A lot of the scraps are white base with pictorials of little animals or cartoon characters.  Most of the pieces were too small to do much with other than a true scrappy quilt.  I am going to enjoy making these blocks.  They are to me a mindless form of sewing.  You just pick up a piece and sew it and repeat as many times as required to fill the shape.


This panel was a surprise as I was sorting out the polyester blend pieces. This was folded up small between all the pieces. The second surprise came when I realized that the panel was folded up with the matching backing. The last border, the blue one, is the pattern of the backing.  Isn't that great!

I can now quilt this panel up and I will have a baby crib quilt to give away, probably to Project Linus.  I just need to buy some batting and make a matching binding.

My aunt would be pleased to know that her fabric is being used to make quilts to go to less fortunate children due to sickness or finance.  She was herself always a loving, giving person.  I miss her.  She was a true good spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment