Friday 2 May 2014

Women gathering together


This is the type of landscape that the St. Augustine people are exposed to.  Beautiful blue blue skies, vivid green growth and lots of rock. This place in the picture is a little island not far from St. Augustine.  Very remote with no residence.  Only a few cabins  are here.  One that was pasted down to my uncle from my grandfather that used the small cabin for his livelihood during the summers for fishing. Very beautiful place where one could just get back in touch with nature. It could be a tough place to live as it is very remote and not much work.  In order to get to St. Augustine you would have to either take a small plane or a freight boat, though the freight boat only comes around but once a week. It is a place where you have no choice but to slow down.


These photos were taken at low tide.  The above picture is of a boat that has been stranded here for a long time.  From what I understand the tide no longer comes in the inlet this far. It looks like such a rough terrain. There is wild life living here on the island.  Unlike what I am used to, here you have to plan things, like if you are going to a city taking care to get everything you need in the one trip.  My Aunt told me that they enjoy the winters for the ability to be more mobile.  With a snowmobile and snow you can do a lot more visiting with farther communities that would otherwise be more difficult or longer to get to.


My son picture above had no worries here.  In low tide where there is usually water is now beach sand.  My daughter and second cousin just to the right outside of the picture frame, were enjoying the late afternoon, carefree making tunnels to detour water along make believe streams and castles. So peaceful. 


In places like this it becomes more crucial to become a close knit community.  Everyone knows everyone.  People help each other.  It's like one big family.  As women did for many years past, these women get together to socialize, share tips of information and do hand work.  They are the 50s+ club.  They do things for the community, organize events or raise money for different needs.  I was fortunate to be welcomed to their group one day while visiting.  I got to see the different things they worked on and they were interested in what I was working on.  I thank them very much for their hospitality.  

I was remembered of the group of ladies when I went on Wednesday to my own group of ladies.  I belong to a quilting bee, I refer to them as the girls.  Maybe I can get a picture of our group one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment