Saturday 3 May 2014

A Triple Irish Chain quilt


This quilt above was made by a friend.  One of the ladies in the Quilting Bee.  She made this for her son and his wife, I believe for a house warming gift.  She asked me to quilt it for her.  This one is a king size quilt.  An Irish Chain quilt is pretty in most any colour, even in scrappy.  I will show you the scrappy one another time.  This one is a Triple Irish Chain, as it uses three colours to form rows/grids across the quilt.  The more common of the Irish Chain quilts are the Single Irish Chain and the Double Irish Chain. 


I like doing simple lines in an x through the squares.  In the plain blocks my friend wanted some hearts.  If you look closely you can see the four hearts between the loops.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture if the border.  The border was done in a double overlapping design. The three loops are all upright, swirls down to loop upside down and back again.  The overlapping design is the heart design between these up and down loops to fill in the space.  You may be able to see it on the border of the quilt picture at the top, if you enlarge it.


I may take the next few post to display some other samples of Irish Chain quilts. They can look quite different with different colours.  I've made some Single Irish Chain quilts and some Double Irish Chain Quilts. My friend really liked the finished quilt and so did her son and his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment