Sunday 11 May 2014

I had a brainstorm with my Pineapple quilt

Today has been a pleasant day, being Mother's Day and all.  Thank you to everyone for their wishes.  The dinner, flowers and card were beautiful.  Besides that I had some quiet time at home.  Did a bit of puttering in my quilt room.  While I was enjoying my tea that hubby made me, I was looking at stuff on the design wall.  I have a number of these pineapple blocks completed.  More than you see here in the picture.  


I was thinking that I have to come to a conclusion on how I want to set this quilt.  I had a brainstorm.  I have decided that I like the block on point.  Doing it this way will allow the light fabric to make a diagonal grid across the quilt.  I also decided that I want the black to be my first border.  I needed to make this decision now as the outer blocks contain the border within the actual block.  Where the green or blue corners are, they will be replaced by the black on the outside blocks.


After my tea I took out some paper, pencil and rulers and started drafting the pattern to fill in the side half squares and the four corners.  I want them all to extend the pineapple block right to the border.  I took the time to draft the quilt on EQ5, so that I knew how many blocks I needed and what the finished quilt size would be.  I went to get the photo copies that I needed to finish this quilt.  

Looks like the Pineapple quilt may be going up the ladder to the main quilt to work on.  I need to make one of each pattern I did to confirm they are the correct size, before doing them all up.  First I need to wash the white flannel that is the base of the paper piece block.  Once done this will be one heavy and warm quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment