Wednesday 7 May 2014

Crazy Log Cabin quilt

I posted my post yesturday just in time. Shortly after I posted I got a headache with the chills and achy bones.  Been fighting the cold the family has been going through for the past week and thought I was lucky to not get it outside of the stuffy nose. But no such like.

Didn't make it to work today and had to cancel the Quilting Bee meeting tonight as well.  Getting better though.  Just didn't want to spread my germs.   

This is a picture I took yesturday while taking the pictures of the Double Irish Chain quilts.  This quilt is called a crazy log cabin.  

The way you make it is, you take three 10" squares.  Place them on top of each other.  You slash the block at various angles to make your logs.  While you cut you are going in the reverse motion as when you assemble the blocks.  Make sure that when you slash you take that log and place it aside in the same order that you cut it to keep it in the block form.  You need to slash enough logs to make two rows and one centre block(this should be eight slashes). Round and round you slash, going in the same direction all the time.

When you are done slashing you are going to arrange the fabric.  Take the top piece of the first four logs and place them at the bottom of the pile.  After this, take the top two pieces of the centre and place it at the bottom.  You are ready to sew.  You construct the blocks starting with the centre. And built the block the same as you would a log cabin block.  Once you have made all the blocks pick the smallest one and see what size block you can get out of it.  Trim all the blocks the same size.  That is it.  Arrange the blocks how you want them and assemble the quilt.


This next picture is of the quilting.  Because the quilt is busy, you don't want to do anything too fancy.  I chose to do a simple stippling.  This quilt is a twin size.  I am keeping this one for now, until I find someone to give it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment