Sunday 26 June 2022

You know you're a quilter when...

You know you're a quilter when you are always drawn to patterns that resemble quilts...lol.  As mentioned yesturday, this week is my vacation from my full time job, and the goal this week is to finish my kitchen renos.  So I split up all the tasks I have to do, per day, to make that happen.  I took it easy yesturday figuring I would work up to the tedious stuff.  My only task was to find my backsplash tiles and pick up all the materials I will need to do the work.

At one point, I was thinking to do the large white subway tiles, however the larger the tile the more accurate your wall needs to be, and parts of my kitchen walls are older and imperfect.  I though I could go with the smaller white tiles, but I was holding out until now, because something was telling me subconsciously that I wanting something more.  I love the marble tiles that Sarah Richardson used in her kitchen on the island home, but thought maybe that was a bit too busy for my place.  

I took my daughter with me and we went tile shopping.  We automatically landed in the marble section...fate...I don't know, but it is exactly where we saw these tiles and I knew right away that this was it.  I didn't need to look any further.  It's a herringbone pattern.  Can you see the quilt...lol


My job today is to get the small stuff done in preparation for the tiling that will be happening tomorrow (Monday).  I have a window to trim and frame out, stove wiring to relocate and baseboards to do.

But enough about the work I have to do, enjoy the back in time to Aug 7/2019:

This is a small NICU quilt my mom made that I quilted for her.  Somewhere, possibly on the Guild's free table, my mom picked up the left over pieces of someone's finished quilt.  She took those pieces and made this cute little NICU quilt.  NICU quilts usually measure 26" square.  They go on top of the incubators to protect the newborns from the harsh hospital lighting.  My mom and I make a lot of these smaller quilts and give them to the Project Linus group in our area.  They distribute them to the hospitals.


Here is the profile of the quilting.  I quilted this in Painted Daisies from Urban Elementz.


You'll have to stay tuned for my post tomorrow, where I talk about a spiderweb quilt that we collectively made at the Guild workshop.  I bring that up here, because as I was going through the bin of fabric looking for suitable scraps for that quilt, I came across some 6 1/2" blocks of a toil fabric, seen below.  Someone was going to make something with them, or maybe they were the leftovers, but as they were just sitting there in the Guild bin, I couldn't just leave them there...so this is what I made with them.  Measurements approx. 58" x 70".


At the bottom of the bin, there was a piece of solid red fabric that I used to make the alternating nine patches with some cream fabric I had in my stash.  I also found in my stash the medium red fabric for the inner border, followed by the solid red fabric from the bin.  And there you have it, a quilt was born.  The pattern I used in making this quilt is called a single Irish chain.  I didn't quilt this quilt until later when I was given some batting and backing, but I guess I forgot to take pictures of the finished quilt.


Here are two close up pictures of the toil fabric.  They were all pretty, romantic scenes, of men and women with their grand dresses, hats and men's tailcoats from days gone by.

Hope you enjoyed the quilts.  I am off to get started on my renos.  Take some time to enjoy your Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment