Tuesday 21 June 2022

It worked!! Let's get started

Since my last post back in June/2019 there has been so much happening...I hardly know where to start.  So for now, I am going to start back in the past where I left off...

So...just so that you know the timeline, anything I write that is current, will just be written as usual and anything that I write about from where I left off, I will put a notation "Back in Time".  It may be weird at times talking about stuff that I am doing from both time periods, but that may also make it interesting.  Interesting in the sense that you won't be bored seeing the day to day small progress on a large quilt or project that I have finished or still in the process of doing.  We will see how it goes...I may decide to change this as I go along...

Hope you enjoy it.

Back in Time:

Some time in April/2019 I believe it was American Patchwork and quilting magazine came out with a quilt along pattern.  A quilt designer came up with a quilt to use up smaller pieces and you could do it a planed colour way or scrappy.  The block finished as 2 1/2" square, using two strips that measured 1 1/2" wide by 2 1/2" long, sewn together to make the 2 1/2" squares.  I wasn't looking to start another quilt, but you know how it goes...  I thought that this one would use up a bunch of scraps.  I am always looking for patterns to use up what I have and keep the scraps in check.  

In my case and my mom's case, we decided that we didn't want to cut up all those small pieces.  Instead, I changed up the pattern some, by enlarging the block to 3 1/2" square and using up my thin strings, so that I didn't need to cut up any fabric.  It worked out great!  

This was the side of my sewing table where I had my scraps out in piles of light and dark.  The left hand black baskets are holding the finished blocks. One basket for the light blocks and one for the dark ones.



It takes me a while to do quilts with pieces this small, so instead of making you wait, I am showing you my mom's quilt that she finished not long after the sew along happened.  Mine is the same, just using my own scraps, so there are some variances and our borders are completely different.  I'll show you mine when that timeline comes up...but don't hold your breath...it may be a while...lol.


Here is a closeup of the quilting.  I quilted it using a Baptists Fan pattern.  Spacing is about 1/2"-3/4".  Don't you just love that texture?


For my own enjoyment and recording timelines, I am adding this photo of my four legged baby girl.  Her name is Maddie.  She is a Vizsla.  She was at doggie daycare on this day in 2019 and they were doing pet photos.  The pets got to have ice cream too!  Lol...what we do for our animals.  Isn't she soooo cute!  I think so.


Enjoy today, this beautiful day, the first day of Summer here in Canada.

1 comment: