Thursday 30 June 2022

Monkey wrench quilt

When I moved here and started unpacking the boxes, in August/2021, I told myself I needed to finish things.  I've had a crazy, mixed up 2 1/2 years of major renovating two homes, on the tail end of renovating my mom's home for the previous 2 1/2 yrs of weekends as well, with only bits and pieces of quilting when I could fit it in between working full time and my longarm quilting business.  I want to finally get things in order.   I didn't want to just put things away for an eventual day to work on it.  I am determined to get things done.  I wanted to be ruthless and was determined that, when I unpacked it, I was going to deal with it and finish it, instead of storing it away.  This is why you will be seeing many finishes from the past few months, that I will be posting in the next few days.  I am not saying that I followed this determination 100%, but I made a good dent with my UFOs and I will continue to do more.

This is a quilt that I had a lot of fun making.  These blocks are called monkey wrench, amongst other names, and I love making them, especially with the funky fabrics from scraps given to me by friends along the way.   I will, down the road, make another larger one for myself.  It was that much fun.  Stretching the limits with fabric pairings.  Different genres, colours, some new stuff and some older.


I started this quilt some time in mid 2017, as my leader/ender blocks.  I just kept making them between my other projects.  I had no plan for the layout or how many I was going to make.  My only goal was to not use duplicate fabrics, similar to what I did for my Spools quilt.

Somewhere along the way I had a crazy idea to make the block in miniature.  The main blocks that make up the quilt, finish at 5" and this block below finishes at 2 1/2".  Lol...yes, I know...crazy.


Well I made four of them before I stopped myself...lol.  I have to admit though that they are very cute.


Here are the two sizes together in a picture so that you can see the difference.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of the funky fabrics, but let me tell you, some of them were wild.


I am glad that I made this quilt and it went to Project Linus, but I am also longing for the monkey wrench blocks.  Don't be surprised if I start another one, again as a leader/ender.  This one will have to be king size now, as when we moved here we had the room for the king.  Lol...at 5" finished blocks...that makes for A LOT of monkey wrenches...lol.  And I may be crazy enough to add in a few half sized blocks too...lol.

I have been procrastinating with the work I have planned for today...  Now that I have this post done, I have no more excuses.  Enjoy this beautiful day.  Get out and catch some sun.

1 comment: