Wednesday 29 June 2022

Celebrating with Party Hats

Now that our last guild meeting of the year has past and the quilt has been revealed, I can share this with you.  Hope you like it.

The Halton Hills Quilter's Guild celebrated our 30th anniversary just as covid hit, so we weren't able to gather together to celebrate in person.  It is quite a milestone and we didn't want to just let it go by without doing something to mark the date.  

One of the executive members, Susan, suggested that we make these party hats as a group and make a quilt with them.  I thought it was a great idea and agreed, as did several others.  I did the mistake of saying, oh, that is great and I know just the right pattern to set the blocks...which was followed by Susan saying great so you can make the quilt and present it to the guild at the June meeting...lol...I guess I just walked right into that one...lol.  Anyways, I was good with it.  I enjoy do what I can to help.

Here is one of my blocks that I made using the paper piece pattern that went out with our newsletter in October.  We asked all the members if they could make a hat or two to help us celebrate out 30th anniversary.


From this, I added a 3" white strip at the peak of the hats, added a puff/pompom/tassel or whatever you call those things, to help the hat look a bit more festive.  As the members made them and sent them to one of four drop off locations, which were delivered to me, I worked on the finishing touches to the hats.

When I had enough, I started to assemble the quilt in vertical rows separated by a 2" sashing.  My mom also belongs to the guild, so for her hats, I asked her to add large pieces of white fabric to the sides of the hates (untrimmed).  This way I could cut the blocks on an angle.  Can you find the three misfits in the quilt?  Ok...lol...so I got a bit carried away with that part.....I was having so much fun and thought it was a cute touch.


There is not one hat alike, everyone used their own stash to create their party hat.  I think they turned out lovely.  Can you see one of the three tilted hats below?  I quilted this quilt using Becker's Whirligigs from Urban Elementz.  It reminded me of those festive twirly things or those sparklers that the kids enjoy during fireworks, that get lite and the kids twirl them around.  My mom tacked down the binding.

I hope you like it.  I had fun making this one.  It was with little effort considering all the blocks were made.  Thank you to everyone who participated.  The quilt will be given to our Outreach, to be giving to some charitable organization or cause.

1 comment:

  1. Such an amazing result, Ida
    Teresa J.

    ReplyDelete