Friday 3 May 2019

So many strings quilt

I have been busy with all sorts of stuff lately, finding myself spinning my wheels and going nowhere, but now we are May, and I have decided to just take a break from what I feel I have to do, to doing something that I want to do.

I am having fun playing in my scraps.  It was a few days before May when I had some time before American Patchwork & Quilting UFO challenge would announce the number for May, so I decided it was time for me and some mindless sewing.

I took out a few handfuls of strings from my light and my dark drawers and started to sew them together.  I am working from the piles on the table.  When the strings get too small, like less than 7", they go into the purple baskets, to be used for the second round, and when they are less than 3 1/2" they go into the single black basket to be sorted into my crumbs.  The last two black baskets are my completed units.


Right now I am just concentrating on the units. String after string.  So far I have just over 70 units of dark strings and 40 of lights.  To complete the centre of the quilt I need 420 dark units and 252 light units. So.....lol I have a ways to go.

Later on as I get a bunch of units done, if I get tired of sewing strings together, I can start assembling the blocks.  Below is what the block is going to look like.


I've shown this block a little while ago, when AP&Q magazine came out with a quilt-a-long challenge, both in their magazine and on Facebook.  This is my version of their quilt.  The block will basically have a light half and a dark half, which can be used in any layout that you can do with a log cabin block.  For my chosen layout, I have to make 42 of these blocks for a queen sized quilt.  The individual units finish at 3", which makes a finished 12" block.

Between making these units, I do still plan to work on other things, like all the quilting I have to do, the NICU quilt pieces ready to assemble, plus other UFOs, but right now, I am just enjoying the mindless sewing.  

Enjoy your day, and don't forget to take some time for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment