Sunday 5 May 2019

A couple more NICU tops done

Just last week I wanted to work on getting some more NICU quilts done.  I while back, I went through my sewing room and gathered up a bunch of orphan blocks.  Blocks that did not make it into the main quilt and/or stuff customers gave me to make something out of.

I gathered up enough pieces and parts to make 20 NICU quilts.  Since, I have been making them and have dwindled it down to thirteen, minus the ones that I have since added.  So, I figure that if I do two per month, I will be done all of them by November.  These next two are my goal for May, so I am ahead of the game.  Just have to quilt, bind and label them.


The quilt above I am calling it the checkerboard quilt, for obvious reasons.  I could have added any colour for the first border, and went with blue, as there is a greater need for boy NICU quilts than for girls.  I get that.  As a whole, I find I tend to make more girl quilts.  I have to make an effort to think about colours suitable for a boy instead.

Below is a girl quilt.  These were four log cabin blocks that a friend had given me, when she cleaned out her quilt room.  I have one more like these, but the size is 10 1/2" instead of these, which are 6 1/2".  I couldn't figure out a way to fit the larger block in, so I think I will just keep it to make another separate NICU quilt.  Maybe I'll put it on a diagonal and add corners to make it bigger.  We'll see.


Here, below, I have a pattern that was left on the free table at the HHQG.  I was cleaning up and putting the chairs and tables away, this somehow got left behind.  The pattern is paper piece and it was started, with some fabric cut out and paper patterns ready but that is where it stopped.  I am thinking someone already made it and had left over parts.  Since they put it on the free table, I guess they decided they didn't want to do another one.


The pattern says the size is 14 1/2" X 14 1/2", so that tells me it is a miniature.  I checked if anyone that was still there wanted it, and when they all said no, I brought it home with me.  Couldn't just throw it away.  I'll make another NICU quilt with it!  I can add some borders and such to make it bigger.

I'll finish up this post here, as I have given myself until 10:00 am, before heading downstairs to work on customer quilts.  I have a few I need to get done, and if all goes well, tomorrow I can be working on quilting some of my own.  Wish me luck!  I am needing a few very productive days to get to a point where I feel caught up.

No comments:

Post a Comment