Tuesday 21 May 2019

Two more NICU quilts

I am still working away at getting these orphan blocks into NICU quilts.  Here are the latest two.

This one started out as just three pinwheels and a bunch of half square triangle blocks (HST).  The pinwheels only measure 4" finished, so I needed a way to use them, that would expand them.  An easy way to make your blocks into a bigger quilt is to use plain alternating squares.  I made the remaining HST into pinwheels, which gave me five in total.  I treated them as part of a nine-patch with the plain blocks between.  After that was done, I felt that the block was still too small to start adding borders, so I turn the block on a diagonal.


To make the pinwheels stand out a bit more, I added a small matching border, creating a floating affect.  After that I added the darker corner blocks to square it off.  I added another matching border, followed by the last dark border.  A simple little quilt, for a little boy's incubator.

Next we have this NICU quilt.  Also for a little boy (there is more of a demand right now for boy quilts).  This quilt started out with the leftover pieces of a quilt I made for my niece and her husband.  All the blue and green four patches, plus all the green and blue 2" blocks were part of the leftovers  The four units in the middle, with the dark blue HSTs were also left over from their quilt.  


I can't really explain how this one came about.  I just sort of put the pieces down on the floor by my feet and sat there moving them around.  This little quilt was born from my playing around with shapes.

This weekend, I found time to quilt six of these small little NICU quilts, however these two did not make this round of quilting.  These two will be in the next batch of five waiting to be quilted.  As soon as I bind the others, I'll post about them. 

Stay safe and enjoy the sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment