Wednesday 26 September 2018

Playing around with quilting designs

I've been playing around with different ideas for quilting the cream sections of the drunkards path quilt. When all the blocks are together, you get this unusual shape, formed in the middle between the chains, when the blocks are sewn.


I drew this shape on paper to use with my homemade erasable plastic paper protector (table cover/protector).  I place the paper with the shape drawn on it under the plastic and start playing.  Once you make a design, you evaluate it, erase it and try again.  If I come across something that has potential, I will take a picture of it.  This way I can come back to it and choose later.


Above I used the organic petal feathers with a tendril/swirl to extend in the awkward space.  I like this, but I am afraid there may be too much thread buildup in the centre for my taste.


I came up with this possibility.  It's ok.......but a bit too simple.  I liked the fact that is wasn't quite so busy as the first design, but thought it lacked something to actually "fit" the space.  Later, after a few more options, I thought to use a combination of the first two designs.

I think I like this one better.  It is still simple, but the petal will "fit" the space better by contouring the curves.  I noted that in each of the samples I took a picture of, I always used the tendril/swirl in that odd shape.  It seems to be the best option to get up there to quilt that little area.


I will continue to play around with the design.  See what else I can come up with.  I don't usually commit to anything until I actually start quilting the quilt.  So, if anyone else has any other ideas, please pass them along.  I'd love to see what other people would come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment