Saturday 8 September 2018

Blue stars quilt block completed

During the month of August, I had abandoned the quilt listed on the American Patchwork & Quilting UFO Challenge list.  I really do not care for it and don't want to dismantle it.  I just need to be in the mood for it.  Maybe another time.....

So......I thought I would just take a break from this list and try to get a bucnch of other things off my main list of UFOs.  I'm glad I did, because I got a lot of stuff done.


One of the items was this.  I started back to work on these blue star quilt blocks.  It may sound pathetic, but I only had four of these blocks to do.  I know, pretty sad, but I thing that is when life got busy and I had to put this one away.

During the last years' season of the guild meetings, I purchased a large zip loc bag full of material, mainly in blues.  Imagine to my surprise, when I opened it up and found numerous blocks and pieces already completed.

I didn't have a pattern with it, I only had various types of blocks and pieced strips.  I spoke about this in previous blog posts, as I made at least five NICU quilts with some of the blocks and pieces.  As I had more of these particular blocks, I put them aside to come up with something larger.


With the two types of blocks, I came up with this design.  The one block makes a chain grid across the quilt and the stars went in between the chains.  As I said earlier, I only needed to make the four star blocks to complete the centre.  I used many of the pieces from the bag plus a few from my own stash.

I even had a long enough piece, of this double row, of 2" finished blocks to make the border.  I just had to measure where to cut it off and measure the next one.  There is still a small piece of this strip left. Lol.  It must have been destined for a big bed quilt, however now it has been relegated to be the border of this cute quilt instead.

I wonder what the person who initially owned this fabric was going to use all those pieces for.  I wonder if she would like my take on the use of these fabrics.  Who knows?  

One thing for sure, is some young child will have the pleasure of snuggling under this cute quilt when it is done.  Now the next step is to assemble the rows and attach the borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment