Sunday 23 September 2018

My green and red appliqué quilt

I have finally come up with and settled on the last four block designs for my green and red appliqué quilt, which as it turns out is no longer just green and red.

I've added a yellow, pink, double pink, and a blue.  I didn't want this quilt to look like a Christmas quilt. I think I will call this quilt my version of the Baltimore album appliqué quilt............or maybe not.  That is such a mouth full.      


This first block in the top picture is a bit outside of the usual Baltimore album style, with a more modern feel to it, with the curved hearts, instead if a simple solid heart.  This will be the "my version" part of the name I was thinking on calling this quilt.

I am really not good at names for my quilts.  I tend to go with the basic description as the name.  I think I need to start being more creative.  Think outside the box and come up with an individual name.  Maybe something like Gathering Flowers.  How does that sound?  Many of the blocks are of flowers or flowers in baskets, that sort of thing.  I think that works for me.

From this point onward this quilt will simply be called Gathering Flowers.


The one above is a variation of another block I have where the flower is in the middle.  This one though I decided to use berries and curved stems in the corners.  I am liking this one.

This next block is being added as a representation of my French heritage.  The fleur-de-lil will add in some more blue into the quilt.  I have a few blue baskets and now these fleur-de-lil.


This last block is back to flowers.  I have committed to this block, however I will be doing this one last.  I hesitate with this one, as I am thinking that in my subconscious I am not 100% sold on this block.  I am not sure about the single layer flowers, which is different than all the other blocks. We shall see....


I am looking forward to getting back into this quilt.  I did so much on this quilt already with most of the green stems, outside of these blocks and a couple of others.  I also did all the blue stems of the basket blocks too.  The only reason I am holding myself off at this time is because I have so many other handwork quilt/projects on the go that I want to get it a bit more under control, so that when I get back to this one, I can sit and really enjoy it, without the guilt of knowing I should be working on other things.  The To Grandmother's House We Go quilt being one of them.

Soon though, as I am making great progress on a lot of my quilts.  My UFO list is shrinking. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment