Sunday 26 November 2017

Dresden plate top being assembled

My mom and I have been working like mad the last weekend of October and the first weekend of November on my living room and dinning room renos.  I had taken a few days vacations to extent my weekends into long weekends and we needed it.

We finished all the bulkheads around the perimeter of the rooms for the pot lights and added the two levels of crown molding to trim the bulkheads.  We did the facings around the windows and doors,  all the plastering throughout, primed two coats everywhere, painted the ceiling two coats and all the walls one coat.

We often worked from morning into the night.  Sometimes to 9 or 10 pm.  We were both exhausted.  I am grateful she was here to help me, as I am sure I would have given up, long before it was done, and I could not have done a lot of it without the second pair of hands to handle the long or awkward stuff.

The second weekend of November I had another four day long weekend, but this time I was on my own.  I managed to get the second coat of paint on all the walls the first day and started cleaning up the mess.  It took me the majority of the next day, with steel brush and scraper, to scrub down the fireplace, that I had refaced in natural stone, wash up all the plaster and paint from the floors.  After a third day of work, washing down all the furniture, light fixtures, nik naks, and steam cleaning the area rugs, I had it.  I decided to quit.  I felt like a work horse, put though the ringer.

I declared the last day of vacations to be a "me" day.  I really, really needed it.

This is what I worked on.  This is a picture of my Dresden plate quilt partially completed on the design wall, but I did manage to finish the whole top.  I set it aside for quilting at a later date.


After spending the day quilt making, I decided to iron all the curtains that will be hemmed later for the livingroom and dinning room.  I crashed on my comfy chair and zoned out with a movie.

What a weekend.....all three of them.  Well worth the effort.  I am so happy this is all done.  It has been a long time coming.  We have been living in a renovation zone since we moved here five years ago.  Other than little odds and ends we are almost done.  The only major things left to do are the downstairs bathroom, hall, basement and hardwood floors throughout the house.

Yay!!! Almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment