Saturday 11 November 2017

Old maid's puzzle NICU quilt top done

I have been working at the Old Maid's Puzzle units for a while now, using them as leader/enders between making other quilts.  Well......one day, on a day that I was in desperate need of some do not disturb me time, I just didn't know what to do.  I was so unfocused that I just sat down at my machine and gabbed a unit to sew, and another, and another......  I just kept sewing, until eventually they were all done.

By this time, my internal systems were coming back into order and I was starting to feel more like myself.  There is nothing like some mindless sewing to get your mind off things and put things to right.  Things were going so well, that I gave myself permission to putter in my quilt room for the rest of the evening.

I started trimming all the blocks, sorting them into colour groups, and finally into sets of blocks.  This container holds all the sets of blocks to complete my quilt.  Here they will stay, until I find some time to put them together.


In the meantime, while I was sorting the units into groups for blocks, I noticed I was left with some additional units.  Not one to waste, I sorted them right away into a small NICU quilt for Project Linus.  

It only took four blocks to make the top and a small 2" border to make it the size required at 25" X 25".


Isn't this cute?  I will practice some new free motion edge to edge quilting design on it when I get a chance.

It's nice to see something happening with this quilt.  This quilt is my oldest UFO (UnFinished Object).  I started cutting the material back in September 2004.  This was my first curved piecing.  As the pieces were curved and small, I found it difficult and sometimes frustrating.  It was still outside of my skill level.  So....I put it aside, for a long time.  

As time went on, from time to time, I would take this project out and try it again.  Doing a few here and a few there, until one day it came to me.  I don't like doing curved piecing, but I really do like this quilt, so I decided to make it my leader/ender.  This way it would have a chance of getting done.  On and off it was my leader/ender, until recently.

Now all the curved piecing is done! Yay!!!  Now it waits it's turn to be assembled.  Soon...

Enjoy this brisk Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment