Saturday 19 September 2015

Matching fabric and backing fabric

I just got back from running around for myself and my daughter.  I have about an hour before I have to go out again to drop her off with some friends to see a movie, so thought I would take the time to let you know what I have been up to.

First thing in the morning I am still trying to finish my block for Tiny Town.  We had the meeting today at 11:30 am.  Did get some done, but not all of it.  Now I have three weeks to catch up before the next meeting and complete the block for this month as well.  At least this months block is not big.

While at the quilt store after the meeting, we looked around.  I finally hit the jack pot.  I have been looking for a long time now for a match to replace the sashing for the old Dresden plate quilt I am reconstructing.  The sashing is in the picture below.



In this next picture you will see the fabric match that I found.  Not sure why the picture has lines in it, but the fabric does not.  They are both solid blue.  The old sashing is laying on top of the new fabric at the bottom of the picture.  In person, it is amazing just how close the colours are.  The old sashing is from a quilt dated from 1930-35.  I am very surprised that I found something this close.  I thought I would have to settle for something similar, so this is great.  Now I have a renewed interest in getting back to this quilt.


The reason that I am reconstructing the quilt is because the white background fabrics used were different flour sacks, that we're starting to disintegrate and because the person who put the quilt together did not match her sashings, the whole quilt is off kilter.  Don't you just love the half blocks in the bottom photo.  They must be for the quilt top row.  The row that gets tucked under the pillow.  No sense making a whole block if it is not going to be seen.  Waste not want not. This picture, is a picture, of a collage I made before I dismantled the quilt.


While I was looking around, I also found some more retro looking fabric to round off the ones that I have, to make the McCall's Retro Play quilt.  I will have to show them to you another time, as they are already in the wash.  Here is a picture of the fabric I found for the backing.  In person the white seems to show more than the black.  Must be the lighting.


Here was the picture of the fabrics I got last time.  I felt I needed some more orange, red, and pinks.  On top of those colours though I also found a few more blues and greens.  Can never have enough variety when making a scrappy quilt.


Now I am going to work some more on the blocks for Tiny Town.  Want to see how much I can get done before heading out again.  I think I will also work on it when I get back, before going to pick the girls up again from the theatres.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment