Wednesday 10 June 2015

My version of The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt, block [22]

Last month is when I actually decided to get back into making these Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks.  This first attempt back did not go so well.  My block was [22] called Corn & Beans.  Now if your not a quilter, you may not know that some squares, especially the blocks with a lot of small pieces and even the ones with a lot of half square triangles, can be tricky.

With these blocks it is especially important to make sure your pieces are precise and your 1/4" seam is a 1/4".  If you are off even just a 1/16" it will make the difference between a successful block or a frustrating mess.  If you are off by only 1/16", compounded by the many pieces means that somewhere along the way the pieces will not fit.


I started making this block.  I had all my pieces cut out and laid out in order for piecing.  Well I started with the middle, which turned out good.  I started on the half square triangles.  That is where I ran into trouble.  I had the centre pieces together and tried to put them onto the middle piece, but it just wouldn't work.

Well I am back today to give it another try.  All of the half square triangles were off only 1/16" and that equated to being 1/2" off when I tried to put the large line onto the middle piece.  So, now I recut the pieces, or most of them anyways.  My eyes are starting to cross though, so I will have to finish this maybe tomorrow.


The pieces at the bottom of the above picture are the error pieces.  I will just use them in a scrappy quilt.  Until next time, enjoy yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment