Wednesday 11 January 2023

Starting of my kaleidoscope quilt

Back in March/2021, we (my family and I) were staying at my mom's place while the house was up for sale.  The house was all ready for showing, renos done, all the excess was packed including my sewing room and we had all moved to my mom's for the week during viewings.  While there I still worked my day job from home, but in this case from my mom's home.  In the evenings my husband and son would watch sports, my daughter may have joined them, or read a book, but me....I'd prefer to be sewing.  

I knew this in advance, so one day my mom and I went to Len's Mills where I picked up some funky fabric.  There was a technique that I wanted to try.  It's not a new technique, but I didn't do one yet.  It's a kaleidoscope quilt.  This method requires that the fabric have at least a 12" repeat (I think...).  What you do is cut out six repeats. You pin them together so that they stack on top of each other identically.  You cut 3 1/2" strips through all 6 layers, careful to keep them in place and together for the next step.

After that you take a 60 degree ruler and cut a wedge (through all six layers).  When you pull them apart, what you get are six identical wedges that you can put together three different ways.  You want to keep the same point for all six fabrics facing the centre, and you have a chose of three different points to use as your centre.  This was kind of fun.  Laying them out in three different ways and trying to decide which one I liked better.


In the above picture, on the top left hand side is the folded fabric that I started with.  As I said earlier, it was a funky piece of fabric.  On the top right hand side by the iron is a pile of more sets of wedges, ready for me to play with.  After dinner on this night in March/2021, I made these four hexagons.  They are assembled as two separate halves.  The method of assembly is to piece these in rows with no inset seams, so the two halves won't be sewn together until all of the halves are sewn and laid out in rows.

Pretty funky kaleidoscopes, don't you thing?  lol  Maybe just a bit too funky for me, but I am sure some child with love the brightness.  

This is one of my UFO quilts that I want to get done soon.  I have it on my 2023 AP&Q UFO challenge list.  Now I just need to wait until the number that corresponds to this quilt comes up.  January's number is 3, and that corresponds to my HHQG Xmas quilt.  I should be able to finish this one in January, as I only have to put the last four rows together.  The blocks are all made and there are no borders on this quilt, so should be easy.......if I can find the time....lol.  I'm not worried.....I still have 3 weeks lefts of January.....  Wish me luck!

Have a great day everyone and take some time for yourself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment