Saturday 14 January 2023

Low volume chevrons, plus....

Honestly, sometimes I think I have gremlins in my head causing havoc and constantly derailing my best efforts.  I mean really....  My plan when I showed my UFO list earlier last week, was to try and get at least five quilts done before starting a new one.  Well.....I did get one done.....

Today was a bit of this and that.  I finally got to ironing all my recently washed scraps and sorting them into categories.  I usually take note of what I am working on and what I need first.  I sort into lights and darks with sub categories of chunks, strips (to be trimmed per my user system) and strings.  That's all done.

By lunch time I had everything cleaned up and had time to play with my own stuff.  That hasn't happened regularly for a while.  Since tomorrow I have quilting for customers on my calendar, I figured I would take the rest of the day to do whatever the mood strikes.  Not a good think...  

You know what happens when you go on a diet?  All of a sudden you are constantly thinking about food and wanting to eat, all the time.  Well equate that to my quilting restrictions of finishing at least 5 quilts before I start anything new.  As I mentioned above, I did finish one quilt earlier this week, but later I went and started five more.....gremlins I tell you!

The first quilt I started was that 7-patch Irish chain quilt.  I have already 1/4 of my jar full of 4-patches.  I started this as a leader/ender, while I was working on that Christmas quilt I spoke about in another post.

This beautiful quilt below is from Pinterest.  Per the caption below the picture, it says Article from Ann's Woods dated Apr 29/2013.  I read the article and Ann makes reference to the free pattern she got from here:  http://www.bijoulovelydesigns.com/2011/03/herringbone-block-tutorial.html  The link takes you to a blog called Bijou Lovely Designs.  The instructions are clear and detailed.


I read through the instructions, and altered it a bit for myself.  I've been keeping my eyes open for a quilt that I can use up all my low volume stings.  So for my version, I am not precutting the strips like the pattern.  Instead I am using whatever I pull out, however it comes.  Here is my first block.  Do you like it?  My parameter for the strings are a white or cream base that reads as light or soft pastel colour to add some visual texture.  I haven't decided yet whether I am going to also add in those lights that have very loud designs on them.  I think it may jar the look I am trying to achieve of a low volume quilt.

This is the second quilt I started this week. 


Not seen here is the third quilt I started using the small scraps from the above string leftovers.  When the string is no longer long enough to use here in this block, I will sew it together with another leftover scrap.  The method is from Crazy Mom Quilts and the pattern I believe is called Vortex.

The fourth quilt I started was this next block.  I drafted up the quilt and printed it.  I haven't found the name of this block yet.  This one is also from Pinterest.  The reason I started this one, is because I have been looking for a pattern to use up some leftover pieces of Bonnie Hunter's Texas Braid quilt.  I didn't realize that Bonnie's quilt was king size. So, as I didn't need it that big, I hade lots and lots of light and dark pieces that measured 2" x 5".  When I came across this pattern, I thought great!  Now I can use up all those pieces.


This is my test block.  I may try and stick to the really light for the background as the centre piece is a bit lost when the lights are too dark.  To make this work, I took my 2" x 5" piece and cut it down to 
3 1/2" and I took the remaining 1 1/2" piece and squared it down.  Very little waste and I will be accumulating 1 1/2" light and dark squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment