Wednesday 23 May 2018

Trying out some quilting designs for the French Braid Star quilt

I haven't even finished my French Braid Star quilt that I started, through the Halton Hills Quilter's Guild workshop that I took in April, and I am already trying to figure out what to do for the quilting.  I am making this quilt with only solids.  The blocks are looking very modern.

I am using my small scribbling board/quilting design board, that I made with a piece of wood and plastic to protect the blocks, as I design and draw the quilting to actual size.  Good thing I made my design board 14" square, because this block is 12 1/2" square unfinished.  


As this quilt, as a whole is modern looking, I have decided to stick with modern quilting designs, along the lines of Angela Walter's style.  On the braids, I tried some ribbon candy, straight lines, continuous lines, fillers and all sorts of other stuff too.

In the end, I think I narrowed it down to the three designs below.  I want to keep it simple and clean looking.  That is why I added the 1/4" echo line in each braid before adding the design lines.  It makes it look neater and more contained.


When the blocks are put together to form the star, there is another arrow shape like the three braids.  This one though is the medium grey background.  I wanted to carry forward the arrow shape and emphasize the arrows pointing to the centre star.  At first I thought to pretend the braids continued into the grey area, like the top picture, but I thought against it, as I felt it was getting monotonous.   


I went through some of Angela's quilting books and came up with the lines with echo that make up an arrow shape, as seen above.  Besides the fact that the point of that design would be bogged down with a mass of thread, the design didn't do much for me.  

So I kept playing around with my dry erase maker and my design board, until I came up with this next design.  Instead of starting at the point, I can start at the other end and this will allow me to divide the space up into five spaces that looks more in proportion to the space than the too skinny spikes.  I am thinking I like this one and for now I have settled on it for the grey spaces.


I will keep my options open though, should something else from now until I actually start quilting, comes to me.  When it comes to it, nothing is etched in stone, until I start quilting.  If I don't like the way it is going I can always take it out.

These are just some of the thought processes that I go through in my head as I make my quilts.  There are any number of ways that this quilt can be quilted and any one of them would be pretty.  I just have to settle on one of them.

I can't wait to see what everyone else is doing with theirs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment