Sunday 27 May 2018

A little confession

I always knew that spending time on Facebook, Pinterest or the like was dangerous.  There are far too many Quilter's making beautiful quilts, wall hangings, etc.   Plus you can disappear into these electronic apps and not surface for a long time.  Before you notice it, hours have gone by.........or like the other day, you get inspired by something you see and go in a different direction.

I confess, it looks like I have started yet another project!  It's not like I haven't got enough going on, but this one was just so cute, I couldn't resist.  


I saw this inspiration on Facebook.  A woman was posting how she receives a large box of theses 3" basket blocks which finish at 2 1/2" square.  I thought to myself, WOW!  My brain, being mathematically inclined, starts examining the pieces figuring out how big that would make the smallest pieces.......  It just took off from there.  I was intrigued.  I was hooked!

That day I was working my full time job, but during breaks I would rush to put this all together.  I did a drawing of the block on graph paper, and thought to make the templates.  I later reminded myself that I have EQ and can quickly draft it there, so the program can make the templates for me.  By the end of my lunch, I had the pages printed.

But it didn't stop there,  I was still hyped on the tiny basket blocks, so after I finished work, I sat at the machine and made this block.


Isn't it just the cutest thing?  These little blocks will finish at 2 1/2", that makes those tiny half square triangles finish at only 1/2".  I say "these" blocks, even though there is only one in the picture, because I just know I will not be able to stop there.  I figure I will probably make a miniature quilt.

So..........another quilt is born.

A little funny - my daughter's timing is impeccable.  Back up just a bit, my daughter for Christmas gifted me a mug.  On the mug it say, UP TO NO GOOD.  This is my quilting mug, lol, as I am usually up to no good while I am quilting.

It always happens!  Whenever I get into my mind to experiment and try something new, even though I know I shouldn't, in the middle of making the trial block, my daughter "the warden" of keeping me in line and helping me keep my UFOs manageable, she instinctively knows, because she always chooses that time to come see what I am doing.  I don't know how she does it!  Sometimes I play a game of trying to see if I can get it done before she comes wondering down to my quilt room, but every single time, she catches me in the act......lol

I guess another confession is in order.  I do have a bunch of singular blocks made up.  I don't consider these blocks UFOS.  I think of them as orphan blocks, unless the mood strikes me to take that single block and make more.

How many UFOs and orphan blocks do YOU have?  Thanks to my daughter, I have a manageable 31 UFOS at present.  I charged my daughter with the task of "the warden" and she takes her job very seriously.  We have fun with it and joke around about it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment