Tuesday 8 May 2018

A couple more NICU quilts

A while back I purchased a large zip loc freezer bag full of mainly 2 1/2" dark and light blue squares.  I've already shared a couple of the NICU quilts I've made with some of the blocks and here are another two quilts.

This first one was already half way done.  The person I purchased the bag from had made the dark blue nine patch and surrounded them by a round of light blue squares.  I figured I would continue with the theme, so I added a round of dark squares that were already attached in a strip and followed that with a round of light squares and finally a small border to being it to the required size of 25" square.
  

There were still some stripes of light blue squares in sets of five.  I figured I would put them all together to make the centre square.  I bordered it with two rows of dark blue squares that were also already put together.  Lastly, the last small border to bring it to size.


These were the fastest NICU quilts I've ever made.  Not only was it because they are small to begin with, but also because many of the blocks were already assembled in different configurations.  I only needed to figure out what the best way to utilize all the pieces.  It was like assembling a puzzle.  I enjoyed it!

These NICU quilts are in great demand, so I plan to continue to make them.  I enjoy helping the cause, but this size is also great for practicing all the various quilting designs and they don't take up a lot of fabric for the backing or batting.  These ones in particular are great for practicing the various grid designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment