Saturday 13 January 2018

Progress on Xmas/solstice star quilt & Xmas pineapple blossom quilt

In around Christmas time, I had the Xmas/solstice star quilt on the design wall.  I was making progress on it.  I have all the units for the second alternating blocks done and have 10 out of the 41 blocks sewn together.

The design is starting to take shape.  The lightness of these blocks, against the darkness of the first set of blocks, creates an optical illusion.  When I get more done, this quilt will look like It is made of circles throughout.  The best part, is that there is not one curved piece, in the whole quilt.
  

During my Christmas break I decided to join the American Patchwork & Quilt UFO Challenge.  That ended the progress on this quilt.  Which is ok for now.  This quilt is on my challenge list, so it will come back out to play, sometime this year, and hopefully get done.

For the challenge, I have my list of 12 quilts.  They announced the number for January as being 12.  So, on my list, the number 12 is my Xmas pineapple blossom quilt.  It's funny how it turns out to still be a Christmas quilt, however that is where the similarities end.  No soft curves, this quilt is all about straight lines and a grid marching across the quilt.


On December 31st I wrote a post that speaks about this challenge and where I started with this quilt.  Check it out, if you want all the details.  The picture above is the progress I made on it since, to the beginning of the week.  I like how this one is now also taking shape.

I have still many quilts on my list to do and I like all of them.  I get so excited when I take each of them out to work on.  Each quilt that goes on the design wall is my favourite!

For this past week, I have been determined to finish this quilt, this month.  I calculated that I need to do two blocks per day, at least to have a chance of getting it done.  Well, I am so motivated, that I disconnected myself from electronics and sewed, sewed, sewed.  I am getting there!!!

Stay tuned.  The push is on!  I take a challenge very seriously, can you tell..... LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment