Wednesday 24 January 2018

More progress on my Xmas pineapple blossom

Here you have it!!!  I finished the top of my Xmas pineapple blossom quilt.  This is the #12 for the American Patchwork & Quilting UFO challenge.  

I started off the month with only a hand full of blocks and really set my mind to the task of meeting the goal.  This has got to be the fastest quilt top I've made.  This is a version of Bonnie Hunter's pineapple blossom quilt that she has, as a free pattern on her blog.


I changed mine up a bit, as I needed to use up smaller scraps and I wanted to use up stuff that was of various sizes of strips and chunks.  So, I drafted up a block on paper, to paper piece mine.  The strips finish at 1" and the blocks finish at 7 1/2" square, as the middle square is 1 1/2" instead of 1" like the strips.  In my layout I also added sashing with cornerstones.

This next picture is a close up of a corner.  I decided to use a red peek-a-boo border for this quilt too, just like my Canadian Northwind quilt.  Everything I had in Christmas fabric went into this, so long as it was not considered a neutral.


Here is a closer view of a portion of the centre.  If you enlarge the picture, you will see all the variety that there is in this one.  This was definitely a good user of scraps.


Now I am hoping to have time this weekend to quilt it.  Time is running out to finish this quilt for this month.  In the meantime, I am working on the label, in hopes of having it done to put on while I bind it.

I am so glad I joined this challenge.  I challenge myself all the time, but it is much better when you have a bunch of people doing it together and rooting each other on.  Take care, and don't forget to have fun while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment