Friday 31 March 2017

Finished the split nine patch quilt

On the weekend, I also worked on this split nine patch quilt.  This is also an old quilt that waited a while to get quilted.  After I made my nickel quilt, from when I started my adventures into quilting back in 2003, I had a huge amount of left over 5" squares.  

By the time I finished making the nickel quilt, I learned a whole lot about making quilts.  One of the things I learned was that I don't like to be restricted to quilts that only use 5" blocks.  I like variety!  Lots of it!! The more the merrier!!!

So, I stopped cutting the squares and tried to come up with patterns to use up what I had.  I cannot stand waste.  To this date, all of those 5" blocks found a home in a quilt.  

I started this quilt in April/2006.  I worked on it, on and off for many years and finished the top in 2012.  There it sat for another while, until this weekend when I decided this one too needed to get done.  I am very determined this year to make a dent in the UFO department (UnFinished Objects).  

This year I have my priority list of twelve quilts that I want done.  That is one a month.  When the one, for the month is done, I can work on whatever suites my fancy.  Lately, my fancy has been to practice on my new longarm and to quilt up my finished tops.


For this quilt, I decided to practice some freehand with an edge to edge pantograph.  It uses different skills than doing your own freehand designs.  It requires a bit more control to follow someone else's design with the laser.  This design is called Oblique from Urban Elementz by Patricia Ritter and Valerie Smith.  It has a combination of a paisley shape or tear drop and petals of half a flower, and both are echoed throughout the design. It's pretty and adds a lot of texture.


Above is a picture of the backing and below is a picture of the front.  I still need a fair amount of practice, to get that fluid motion of moving the machine across the pattern, but I am ok with the results of this one.  I do love the texture it adds to the quilt.  Quilting just seems to liven up a quilt top.


The quilting did not go without a hitch though.  As I said in my last post, I learn something with each quilt I do.  Well.....this one was not different.  As I approached the last couple of rows left to be done......you will not guess what happened.  This next picture says it all.  Wouldn't you know it.......I was one inch short of batting!  ONE INCH!!!   


Do you see it!  The navy blue border, the white batting and just beneath that the beige backing, on the bars.  I will say it again......one inch!  So....before I could finished this quilt, I had to start by attaching a piece of batting to my already loaded quilt.  Talk about awkward, but I did it.  Glad it happened on my own quilt and not a customer quilt.

With this bit of a set back, it took me until Wednesday before I could get back to finishing the quilting.  It took me this long, because on Monday, I worked a full day at my full time job, and had to drive up to pick up my mom, as we had a guild meeting that evening.  Tuesday, I worked all day, had to run some errands, and do the groceries that didn't get done on the Monday.  

So, we are now Wednesday, the earliest that I could work on it.  Once I got the rhythm of holding the batting slightly, while I sewed it together, it went by quickly and I was able to finish quilting it that evening.  I am glad to see this one finally done.

No comments:

Post a Comment