Sunday 12 March 2017

Bear paws quilt

Guess what?  I started another quilt!  I am always in a quandary about where to set my priorities.  Do I work at finishing what I have started, 100% of the time, until they are done or do I try to come up with designs that I can use up all of my scraps.

There is a group out there in Yahoo called Stashbusters.  They are a very large group that are motivated to helping each other finish up things and use up what you have.  It is a constantly loosing battle, one side versus the other.  Both have valid points, but there is no one answer for everyone.

Myself, I do a combination of both.  I work hard at trying to finish what I have started, by setting goals, but when I get so far along I reward myself with starting something new, so long as it is from my stash, preferably my strings.

I've completed the three quilts from my priority of 12 quilts, which is one per month.  I am up to date so far and I have a couple that are almost there.  So yesturday, while sorting out the last batch of  scrappy strips and what I already had, I figured it was time I try to deal with my strips/strings.  For inspiration I turned to Bonnie Hunter's books.  She has a lot of great ideas.  There are a bunch of her designs I would like to make.

My goal was to come up with a design to use up my brown scraps.  In her string book she shows the technique for paper foundation for making blocks to replace any large unit in any block.  This is what I came up with.  I did this on my EQ.  


To me brown reminds my of bears and the traditional bear paw block.  I am replacing the plain block with a scrappy string block.  Here below is the one unit I made so far to confirm I cut the right sizes.  I will need four of these units to make up a block.


Once I have my four units, I will divide them by the burnt orange sashing in the picture below and add a red cornerstone in the middle.  I will surround the blocks probably with a blue jean coloured fabric and the square in a square block that you see in the picture below will be the cornerstones to the blue sashing.


The last border in the design above is not complete.  I couldn't figure out how to add three paw units in each corner with the extended burnt orange border to separate them.  In any case, you get the jist of the design.

I have all the pieces cut out and ready to piece.  I think I will start making all the string blocks first, assembly line style.  I bit of mindless sewing.  I will share my progress......when I get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment