Sunday 19 March 2017

Always trying to use up my pile of strings (QW)

I continue to look for pretty patterns that can use up my scraps.  I came across this book while visiting a quilt show a while back.  It is printed in 1979.  It's a great reference book.  There are some really unique blocks in here.


It's not a traditional quilting instruction book.  You get a picture of the block, a brief description of the block, the pattern pieces to trace and use, but that is where it stops.  You would have to have some knowledge of how to put the pieces together to construct the blocks, and the layout is left to your own creativity.  Sample of one pattern below.  There is only one page per pattern.


I have marked many of the pages to review later, as a "may do" quilt.  I am mainly looking for quilts that I can use up my strings and my pre-cut strips.

Today, I came across a quilt pattern in one of my Facebook groups, that I really want to do.  It will use both the pre-cut strips and sashing in strings.

The first one I saw last week, made by Shirley Hammond and posted in a Facebook group called Scrap Quilt Enthusiast.  This I believe is one of five she made.  She liked it so much that she made more than one.  I wonder if it made a dent in her scraps. Lol.


Today, I see another similar quilt, made by Marcia Lobby Lee.  Also from a Facebook group called Scrap Quilt Enthusiast.  Marcia shared her quilt with us and informed us that she won a blue ribbon for this quilt.  Way to go!!!  It's gorgeous!  Can you just imagine the amount of work that went into the making of these quilts?  All those pieces.  They must be heavy.


I can definitely see one of these quilts in my future.  I am not starting it yet, as I already have far too many to do, but I thought I would write about it here in my blog, to jog my memory later in the future.

Yesturday, I finished the Dresden plate on the longarm (later will do the fancy design on my domestic machine).  I took this off the longarm, loaded the small pillow top and quilted it too.  Pictures for that will be in another post.

Today I am off to a quilt store to find some burnt orange fabric, and to my mom's for a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment