Tuesday 5 December 2023

The starting of a Sea Swept quilt

I have committed to making a Sea Swept quilt pattern for my sister-in-law Deb.  It is a pattern that was on my bucket list for a long time, but I couldn't justify starting it while I had so much already on my list to do.  Well, I didn't need much encouragement......lol.  As soon as I found out Deb liked the quilt pattern......well, that was all I needed to add it to my list.  

I've been collecting the fabric here and there since Oct/2022, though not seriously.  But during July/Aug/2023 through the quilt shop hop, I stepped it up and started looking for variety.  I was wanting some medium dark blues, medium blues, teals, aqua blue, and sea foam heading toward greenish.  Variety is going to be key in this quilt.  I also got the light blue background fabric that I need to make sure there is enough contrast with the rest of the colours I chose.


I am doing this quilt as paper piece and I've already rough cut all the pieces I need to make this quilt.  I did one block of all three different blocks required to make the quilt.  I like to do this, as this is when you confirm if there is enough contrast between all the parts.

This is a picture of the cornerstone block.  As I was afraid I was going to run out of the background fabric, I decided to use a slightly darker square for the consistent centre piece.  The centre piece and the outer triangles were going to be in the same colour, but as you can see in the picture below, there is not quite enough contrast to see the light versus dark thing going on.  


So for my second version, I left the centre piece the same, but switched to the lighter blue background fabric for the outer sections.  I was lucky enough to get my hands on some more, so I will not run out.  This second block looks so much better.  When you put it up against the sashing pieces, you will further see the contrast, which is important in this pattern.

Have a great day everyone and take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment