Monday 11 December 2023

My mini log cabin blocks quilt

Just back from my walk with our dog/Maddie.  It's a brisk one out there tonight.  This evening was for running around getting things done.  I finished the Christmas decorating and putting up the tree.  We only have the decorating of the tree to do and for that I wanted to wait until my daughter got back, so some time this week we will tackle that.  

Am I the only one that feels the need to do spring cleaning while I decorate?  I washed windows, walls, floors, furniture and all.  That is why I didn't get any quilty stuff done, aside from Sunday when I quilted a quilt for a customer.  Tomorrow I have to see about trimming the quilt and maybe getting a picture or two.

In the meantime, let me take you back to Sept 12/2023:  That was when I finished my mini log cabin quilt.  I call it my mini log cabin quilt, not because it is small, but because the blocks are small.  The blocks finish at 3 1/2" square.  I set 4 blocks by 4 blocks to make a larger block of 14" square.  Easier to manage and put the quilt together.  This picture was taken in my back yard, a couple of days before I entered it into the Acton Fall Fair.  I won first prize in it's category.


I started making this quilt, as I wanted to use up my smallest of small pieces.  The smallest piece, is the red 1" square in the center.  Sewn in a block it finishes at 1/2" and all the rest of the "logs" go up in increments of 1/2" with each log only 1/2" thick.  You can use up a lot of scraps with pieces this small, but funny thing is, you can be sewing and sewing and never seem to be reducing your scraps.....lol.


Above is a picture of the bottom left hand corner to get a better view of the border.  I did a traditional log cabin layout.  Different than my usual layout of straight farrow, but just as pretty.  

Below is a close up of the blocks prior to quilting.  Can you see that I used any and every scrap colour I picked out of my scrap bin.  Up close, you may thing, what a hodge podge of fabrics.....all together though and they make a gorgeous quilt.  The more variety the better.  


I have every colour in the rainbow and every style/genre of fabrics in here.  You name it and it is likely represented in here.  I love it that way.  The trick to making a really scrappy quilt is not to look at the individual fabrics going together.  So long as the same fabric is not up next to the same fabric all is good.  I also made sure that within each block there are no repeat fabrics.  Another trick to making a scrap quilt work is to add in different saturation of colours.  I have some dark darks, medium darks and some light darks that sometime appear to be just a bit on the too light side.  I did the same for the lights.  So long as there is contrast between the lights and darks next to each other, it will all work out.

I hope you like this quilt.  Just a word of warning.  This is not for the faint at heart.......lol.  It took me quite a long time to do this quilt (years).  The reason being, is that each block has very small pieces and many of them.  You can do a few in a sitting, until you have to put it aside.  I started this as a block-a-day.  But, as always happens, life in general gives you distractions.....lol.  So long as you don't make a deadline, it will be ok.  

I laughingly call this quilt my insanity quilt....lol.  I am glad I persevered and made this.  This is one that I am keeping for myself.  Every time I look at it, I go down memory lane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment