Wednesday 13 December 2023

Deb sharing one of her quilts

Believe it or not, though this picture comes to you from Oct/2021, when our family joined the whole Jenkins clan for a Thanksgiving weekend at the cottage, for a family reunion, the maker and owner of the cottage, my sister-in-law Deb, made this quilt many years before.  This was the time/era of floral fabrics that were used to do a shaded effect when making whatever design you chose for your quilt.


The picture does not do the quilt justice.  The merging of the fabric shades and colours up close is so much better.  This was her foray into quilt making.  She made another quilt in this technique, in the form of a heart, if I understand correctly, that went to her daughter.  Everything got set aside as life continued onward.  She did a fabulous job of this quilt and mastering the technique.

Now on to today.....  I did get a little bit of time to do some of my own quilty stuff.  Not much, but enough to get my fix......lol.  I started on the next word for my Heartfelt BOM quilt....YOU.  I got the Y started, there were some distractions, conversations with my daughter and husband.  My husband brought home a complimentary bottle of red wine from an acquaintance, as a holiday gift.  On to dinner and a sampling of the wine.

By the time I came back down to get these pictures, I thought, yuck!  I don't mind doing paper piece blocks, but they look like a mess when you are making them.  Everything all over the place......


But......once you trim them.....oh, what a difference!  So pretty.  Like I said earlier, I didn't get much time to sew until the interruptions happened, but I am not complaining.  The interruptions are all part of life.  I enjoy them and work around them.  Who knows what life will bring in the future....so you have to embrace them for what they are now.

Don't they look so much better once they are trimmed.  When you compare the before and after, the Y looks like I did a new block, but I didn't.

Tomorrow, I am at my mom's place for dinner, Saturday I HAVE to get out and do some Christmas shopping!!  I do not want to leave it to the last weekend before Christmas, because that will be just crazy!   This year due to my daughter and her boyfriend having arrangements with family on his side, we are doing Christmas on Christmas Eve.....  Not a problem really, but I am having to change my ways....lol.  I am usually found on Christmas Eve watching the original version of the Scrooge doing all my Christmas gift wrapping....nothing like leaving to the last minute......lol.  I am getting to bed in the wee hours of the morning, just a few hours before the kids get up with excitement of Santa and all the gifts under the tree.....  I know, I do it to myself....again....not complaining, just stating how it is....

Take care everyone and don't forget to take some time for yourself.  You're worth it!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment