Tuesday 21 August 2018

Started my Line Gallery cross-stitch

During my vacation a week and a half ago, I decided that I was going to take a day for me and me alone.  That morning I sat with my tea in my chair going over everything on my list of 'to do..'  I had big plans for everything from renovation, landscaping, quilting for me and for customers, work at my mom's and watching the Mama Mia movie that recently came out.

I got to see the movie on the half price Tuesday night with my sister, my daughter and my mom.  We all thought it was good.  Worth the time to watch.  A carefree, feel good, musical.  I also did some work at my mom's place, quilting for customers, landscaping here at home, but my list was still very long.  Not that I expected to get everything done, but I do make an effort to see just how many I can get crossed off my list.

I can't even remember which day it was, but on this particular day I felt a real need to take it easy and rest my body and mind.  While I was drinking my tea, my eye spied the corner of the frame of my cross-stitch.  I took it out to look at it and said to myself, "why not".   So, that is what I did.


I started at the top lefthand side with the clouds, moved on to the clothesline, onto the tree in the background, the quilts and the woman's arm.  Fourteen colours so far.  I enjoyed my peaceful day mainly sitting and working on my cross-stitch.  It looks pretty already.  The day ended at 2:00 am, when I ran out of time and put it away, so I wouldn't get distracted for the remained of the week.  Though it made me happy and I enjoyed myself, I knew I would be disappointed with myself if I didn't get more things on my list done.

One of the things I got done was planting a tree in my front yard garden.  This is the tree I chose. 


I didn't like the tree that was there.  The hydrangea tree was not doing well in my clay'ish type soil.  My sister helped me plant the tree.  In the picture below you will see two trees fairly close to each other.  The small green one is the hydrangea.  That is the one coming out.  My sister will take it and plant it at her place, where the soil is better suited for it.


After we planted the tree that Saturday, she says, "while I am here, we may as well get started on the French trench/drain", that we had planned to start on Monday.  Good thing we did, as it took use the remained of the Saturday afternoon, all of Sunday and most of Monday too.

Wow, what a job that turned out to be.  It took a lot longer than anticipated as we didn't account for the clay soil being a lot harder to dig out,  even the sit down back hoe we rented had a hard time digging up the clay.  You can read more abut that on August 14th post.

I know......I know what you may be thinking.....I just started something new to add to my list of things to do.  But, I really enjoyed starting the cross-stitch and I really needed a day just for me.  I have no regrets.  I bought the cross-stitch & floss and had every intention of starting it at some point.  Why not now, when I needed the break from all my other demands.

Sometimes you have to calm the nagging voice inside that keeps you running at a mile a minute, trying to get everything done.  Everything will get done sooner or later, I personally need to work on relaxation and learn to go easy on myself.  That is a hard thing to do, for someone like me, who is an over achiever.  I am sometimes my own worst enemy.  I am trying though......

No comments:

Post a Comment