Saturday 7 July 2018

Finished quilting Mom's fairy quilt

My mom started making each of her great grandkids a small lap sized quilt.  My eldest niece had her children first and each of them has a hand embroidered quilt.  Each quilt being of a different theme and colours.  These were made some time ago and I quilted them for her on my domestic sewing machine, as that is where I learned to quilt first.

My second niece started having babies.  She currently has two children.  The first is a boy and the second one is a girl.  Mom made these a little while ago.  Between her renovating, she slowly worked on the hand work.  One block at a time when she needed to sit for a while to rest her back.  This particular quilt was made for the girl (Rylee Marie).


We decided to look for fairy pictures and went with both fairies and princesses.   My daughter looked up the images online and my mom took it from there.  The handwork is so pretty.  Each of the blocks are different with different coloured dresses and hair.

Here is a closeup of one of the fairies.  Soooooo pretty with her ballet slippers.  I also like her friend the little butterfly.


For this quilt, I chose to use the Whole Lotta Love pantograph, with all the meandering hearts.


I like it and so does my mom.  On the top I used 60 wt thread so that the stitches would disappear in the embroidery.  There is a lot of texture, but it does not distract from my mom's handwork.

This quilt has been done for a while, but I needed to wait to show it until it was gifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment