Sunday 1 July 2018

Customer's hexagon quilt

I am working on a customer quilt.  She made the hexagon quilt all by hand.  These honeycombs are bigger than a grandmother's flower garden by an extra row of coloured hexagons.  This quilt has four rows of three for 12 honeycombs.  This is the largest quilt this customer has made thus far.  The last one was the same colour way and layout, but only six honeycombs.


The last one was quilted the traditional way with a very large feathered wreath in each honeycomb and echo quilting in each white hexagon.  For this one she is giving me free range to do whatever I want.  

This custom is in the small quilting bee group that I used to belong to, so she has seen many of my own quilts and the quilting I did for the other members of the group.  When she handed me this quilt, she just said she likes everything that I do, so go ahead and do whatever I want.

That statement opened up a lot of possibilities.  I knew this quilt was eventually going to one of her daughters, so instead of traditional, I thought I would go a bit more modern, but still not too funky.


For the white space, I decided to do an all over Terry Twist design.  It looks good and it is much faster than individual echoes.  Depending on the angle you look at it, it looks like a three spoked windmills.  This design is a little more playful.  I think her daughter is going to like it.

Once I am done the white, I will go back and do my second pass to finish the honeycombs.  For them I've decided to do a design that I saw on Pinterest.  The middle portion is all one continuous design, and the outer design is another continuous design.  The outer edge design acts like a scalloped border for the centre and in 3D looks very pretty.


Update:  The finished pictures will follow shortly as I have started the honeycombs.

Have a great weekend everyone and HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment