Friday 6 July 2018

Completely freehand free motion quilting for a customer

This long time customer has been with me since I started out quilting for others.  She handed me this quilt and told me to do whatever I like.  Well......that was a loaded pistol.  Where to go with it was my worry.  This customer is a very traditional person of English decent.  

So far I've been sticking to traditional type designs like echo quilting, feathers and such.  But this time she gave me this quilt and told me to do anything I like.  She must have seen my eyes pop out, because she expanded and told me that she likes everything that I have done so far for her, for others and for myself, that she wants me to just do whatever inspires me.


This quilt will be going to one of her daughters, so my first thought was to do something fresh and a little more playful, but still keeping it simple.  I like how the Terry Twist adds an overall texture to the quilt and depending on the angle, sometimes it looks like windmills.  My customer saw curly flowers.

This is what I did for the honeycombs.  I saw a scalloped edging and when she saw it she thought of a peacock.  It's funny how people see things differently.  I like this simple quilting design.


Lastly, I chose to do close straight lines for the last row of the hexagons.  The effect looks like there is a border around the quilt.  The lines follow the contours of the hexagons.


This was a fun quilt to do.  It took me a while to do, but it was fun.  The worst part was doing the envelope type edging to finish off the quilt.  Cutting the zig zag shape for the backing, and trimming the batting level with the hexagons, to turn in the backing fabric and slip stitch the whole thing.  This took a very long time to do, but it was well worth it.  Binding would have taken away from the hexagon quilt feel.

All in all my customer loved it.  She was ecstatic and said it was going to be difficult to give this one away.  That comment alone made my day.  I've been quilting for others for a long time now, but still to this day I worry they won't like something that I've done.

Cheers to another successful quilting job!

No comments:

Post a Comment