Saturday 20 December 2014

Hexagon quilt edge

I finally finished the quilting on the hexagon quilt, aside from one singular row going all the way around the quilt.  The purpose for this is that I have to finish he edges first, before I can do the quilting.

The first step I started with is cutting the batting and backing to match the edging of the quilt, plus 1/4" seam allowance.


The next step was to carefully trim back the batting even with the quilt edge, leaving the backing material to fold in.


I have to tuck under the 1/4" seam of the backing fabric and slip stitch the edge to close the quilt.  Very much like closing a pillow, except this quilt has to be completely done by hand all the way around.


I started the edge.  This will also take some time.  After I finished the edge I will go back to quilting the last row.  I am getting there, but with the hustle and bustle if Christmas, I doubt it will get done for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment