Wednesday 22 February 2017

Quilting ideas for a couple of quilts stirring in my head

I have been stuck in ideas on how to quilt my cousin's Dresden plate quilt.  They can be done in so many ways, that it is hard to choose only one of them.  But I think I have it now.   I have a design that I think is pretty and leaves the centre empty to accommodate the purple cornerstone on the quilt.

This design is a cross of three different designs that I have seen in the past and one design that I've used on another quilt.  The design that I used had more loops than bulbs, but essentially the design has the same kind of form or layout.  The centre square on the page is where the cornerstone and Dresden plate are on the quilt.  Do you like it?


I've also been stuck on ideas for my daughter's quilt.  The quilt is made up of nine patches separated by plain solid blocks.  It resembles a single Irish chain quilt.  I am stuck, or have a block, with the nine patches.  I just cannot come up with any ideas on how to quilt them differently.

Generally, people do an X in the nine patches or straight lines across the quilt, through the nine patches.  But I am tired of that and doing the same thing, over and over.  I have been looking to see what others are doing to quilt nine patches, but from what I have found so far it is all the same.

The latest design idea I have is doing these, kind of half leaf designs, along each edge.  Even the outer edges of the nine patch.  I can afford the design going into the solid space, because I intend to quilt a simple butterfly in them.  I can adjust the size however I want for them.


Anyways, I am not a 100% sold on this idea, so I will just keep it on the back burner for now.  My daughter likes the design and would be fine with it.....but I still want to wait.  Eventually.....something will come to me or this design will grow on me.  We will see.

Maybe I need to do the quilting on a practice piece to see how it will look in person.  Sometimes
designs look completely different in person, than in 3D.  That may be what I will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment