Wednesday 16 November 2016

Quilt Guild meeting

In October my mom, my daughter and I went to the Halton Hill Quilt Guild meeting.  This is close to my mom's new home.  I thought she might like to participate in a group with people that enjoy quilting too.  They have speakers and get together some times to make charity quilts and have classes.

On this particular meeting night, we had a guest speaker by the name of Joni Newman.  She was quite nice and had many beautiful quilts and wall hangings to show us, as part of her trunk show.


These two here were just a sample of her traditional quilts.  They are much better looking in person.


Jodi's specialty is her stain glass quilts.  Most of them are of scenery.  They are gorgeous and because she uses batiks the colours are vivid and do actually resemble stain glass.  The two wall hangings that are held up in the picture below are the same pattern, done using different colours to give you a slightly different mood to the wall hanging.  Jodi had many more stain glass samples to show us and all of them were beautiful.  


I am more of a traditional quilt maker, but I was so inspired by what I saw.  I purchased the pattern of the canoe wall hanging shown above.  I would love to try this technique.  I'll have to build up my confidence to make this one.  This technique is really outside of my comfort zone, but one day, I will try it.  That is why I chose this pattern, as it is a small wall hanging that can be completed quickly, or at least quicker than a full sized quilt.

I enjoyed my visit to the guild that day. Everyone was so nice.  All were very welcoming with numerous people approaching us to introduce themselves and welcoming us in person.

I brought my mother to the guild, as I thought she might enjoy it, but I have decided to join the guild too.  Our next meeting is November 28th, my husband's birthday.  He still wants me to go, said we can celebrate his birthday another day.  Isn't he sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment