Wednesday 26 March 2014

Is quilting my passion or an obsession...



Our hobbies, passions or obsessions.....no matter how you look at it, have a direct relation to who we are and what e do or become.  I think there is a fine line between passions and obsessions.  How do you define it?  The number of quilts you do?  The amount of hours you spend doing it?  The amount of money it cost? Or is it the amount of time spent thinking about it?  I have to confess.  If it is the latter that puts it over the edge into obsession......I guess I am obsessed.  I mean I think about it almost all the time.  I enjoy the inspiration that I get from all sorts of sources.  I find inspiration everywhere, including my old linoleum bathroom floor.  When you meet other quilters or artsy people, the conversation and ideas can start one way and end up in a completely different direction.  Since I have started quilting I have met many, many people.  Quilters in person, at stores, quilt shows, or even online all contribute their opinions and ideas that start a seed of another idea.  Even the places I have gone to over this period of time has given me yet another view point to bounce ideas off of.  I find inspiration everywhere.  My mind just cannot turn it off......definitely obsessed.

Oh well...here goes.  Hi, my name is Ida and I am a quilt-acholic!!!


These blocks are what I am working on at this time.  They are blocks from the book The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird.  There are 111 blocks to inspire you.  I have selected a total of 35 blocks to make a queen size quilt.  I have decided to set the blocks differently.  The blocks are only the start of an idea, the idea to put sashing on each block came from another source of inspiration and the white spots between the blocks on the wall came yet again from a different idea that has been sitting in my head for the right time to come out and play.  I will have to let you know later if my idea works.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment