Wednesday 8 February 2023

I started another quilt today call Grandstand (QW)

I started another quilt today.  I thought I would share with you the process of how things happen around here.  It happens so fast, I usually can't stop myself from doing it.....lol.  Not sure that I want to anyways, but my goodness, all of a sudden I am starting quite a bit....  It starts out innocently enough. 

Last night while I was on my computer looking at pictures that I saved for future use, I came across the one quilt pattern that I saved for using up large prints.  I drafted it up and I'm saving it for my cats and dogs fabric, that I just picked up recently on sale at The Hobby Horse Quilt Shop in Georgetown, ON.

That would have been that....however, while I was looking around, I also came across a quilt picture called Grandstand from A Bright Corner.  This pattern is versatile and can be a real stash buster.  It can be converted to whatever size blocks you want to make, depending on how big you want the quilt or how large you want the blocks to to be, to showcase some novelty prints. 

For myself, I am aiming for a charity quilt for Quilt of Valour or Quilts for Survivors.  This would be approx. 50" x 70" give or take a bit.  So to achieve this, I am using 4" strips with 1" sashings (finished sizes).  This morning while having my tea, before work, I drafted this one up too.  I was so excited about this one that during my 15 minute morning break at work, I ran downstairs and pulled out my scrap folder that holds my yellow, orange, beige and brown chunks of fabrics.  These would be smaller than a fat quarter, but larger than my strings or small scraps.

During my lunch time, after I ate, I started sorting the scrap chunks to see what I had and what I could use.  In the end, I only edited 3 fabrics.  One was too bright in comparison to everything else, one was just not doing it for me, as it was too plain and the third piece, I really like it and wanted to save it for another quilt I am making.

By my second break, in the afternoon,  I had all the fabrics lined up and I figured out how many of each block size I needed to cut for the pattern.  I prepared my cutting surface (ie picked up all my other things lying around waiting to be worked on).  So, come 5:00 pm, the end of my work day, I am ready to get started.  I cut out all my blocks and a bunch of sashing strips to get started.

This is the layout of the blocks.  The picture quality is not the greatest, as it was taken in the evening, in the basement with no daylight.  In person the lighting is good, but for some reason, it does not pick up in pictures, in the basement.  In person, the browns are more orange in tone.  When I am done the quilt, I'll get a daytime photo.


Above is where I left off, prior to getting something to eat for dinner.  Below is after dinner and how far I got on assembling the quilt, before having to take the dog for a walk at 9:30 pm.  I almost got half way done!  Not bad for a few hours.  When I look at both pictures, I can't get over how much lighter the blocks below look when they have the taupe sashing, versus the black of the carpet to separate them.  Quite a difference.


Tomorrow I am hoping to continue where I left off.  Hopefully I can have the top done by the end of day.  At the rate that this one is going, it should not end up as a UFO.  Overall this quilt was pretty easy to cut up with only the two sizes of blocks and very easy to assemble, as there are no seams to match.  I would definitely do this one again.  I didn't do much of a dent in the scraps with this size quilt, but using up some is better than none.  

Maybe next one will be with all the reds and pinks that I have accumulated in my folder.  Or maybe the blues....or greens.....or......who am I kidding....I am a scrap quilter, so I have lots of scraps of all different colours and I wouldn't have it any other way.  I don't mind yardage, but I prefer my scraps.  The more the merrier....lol.  It just wouldn't be a scrap quilt without the variety of fabrics.

Take care everyone and don't forget to take some time for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment