Wednesday 3 May 2017

Goal setting

I am sharing this picture/quote curtesy of Bonnie Hunter of Quiltvilla.com.  I have to say that I totally agree with her quote of the day (from Feb 6/2017 post).

I am a list maker.  I make lists for almost everything.  The lists that actually have a chance of success/completion, are the ones where I set parameters (ie deadlines).  Example would be my top 12 list for 2017.

I've said it once and I will say it again, I love all my UFOs (UnFinished Objects).  All 38 of them (now).  I don't have a problem with starting quilts and abandoning them.  My problem is my attention span or the abundant distractions, in life's events.  I love them all and I will finish them all.  However, without defined goals or deadlines, things just don't move along.


I started the top 12 list for 2017, in hopes that I could reduce the amount of UFOs that I have, to a more reasonable amount.  I was hoping to finish one quilt per month.  So far I have achieved this goal (due to the deadline).  The deadline pushes me to strive for a little bit more.  After I finish my required quilt/wall hanging, I can play with what ever tickles my fancy.

Don't look at the goals/deadlines, as a "do or die" kind of thing.  You still have to enjoy the process, along the way.  

I was realistic when choosing what would be on my top 12 list.  I chose a variety if items, in various stages of completion and in various categories.  Quilting-for a quick finish, main work-for a long term project, handwork-for sit down relaxation, paper piece-for the precision and technique, and lastly a leader/ender-for progress on tedious parts and units while working on other things.  There is something that I can do, for any mood that I may be in.

We are now May 3rd and I already have my quilt for this month complete.  I could choose to play, but instead, as I know that the next few quilts will take quite some time to complete, I have made a mini goal/deadline to try and finish two this month.  My goal is set, my deadline is set and I am ready for the challenge!!  The challenge motivates me, gets me excited to try and achieve it.  It pushes me forward.

Here is my current progress on my top 12 list for 2017:
2. Quilting-Sabryna's yellow nine patch quilt (family)....still trying to figure out what design to quilt
4. Main work-Mel's romance & roses quilt (family)....
9. Main work-Purple star quilt (my own)....only 5 blocks left to assemble
10. Main work-Grey, black & bright quilt (charity)....
5. Handwork-Reconstructed Dresden plate quilt (my own)....only 7 blocks left to appliqué
6. Paper pieces-Xmas pineapple blossom quilt (my own)....
8. Leader/ender-Bonnie's mystery quilt (my own)....moving along nicely

Total number of quilts completed - 5
Total number of quilts left to be completed - 7

Completed quilts:
3. Spools quilt (my own)
12. Purple & blue squares quilt from Carol (charity)
11. Log cabin quilt from Sharon (charity) 
7. Mini pumpkin wall hanging (my own)
1. Lise's Dresden plate quilt (commissioned) 

No comments:

Post a Comment